KENT Electronic Toll Collection System (KENT ETC)
Implementing an effective Toll Collection System is the need of the time and an emerging priority. Tolling has come to be associated with delays at collection points and congestion at toll plazas. The delays adversely affect the operational efficiency of the improved network and thus neutralize the benefits of the advanced highway infrastructure. Government has therefore decided to adopt Electronic Toll Collection Systems(ETC) across India’s National Highway network, which would enable toll to be collected electronically at a toll plaza while the vehicle is in motion.
One of the essential requirements of ETC Systems is to provide an integrated solution that can work throughout the country. In advanced countries, the prevailing systems or the legacy system reduce the design option. In India on the other hand, there is no baggage of legacy system. And therefore there is an opportunity to evolve a simple and robust integrated solution: the one which is scalable, reliable, inter operable and capable of use across the country
The KENT Electronic Toll Collection System is very fast and efficient mode for collection of toll charges at the toll plazas. This saves a lot of time since vehicles passing through the toll plaza do not stop to pay toll and the payment automatically takes place by using wireless communication between the ETC Antennae and the RFID Tag.
The KENT Electronic Toll Collection System is generally a mature technology that allows for electronic payment of highway tolls. The system takes advantage of vehicle-to-roadside communication technologies (traditionally via microwave or infrared communication, more recently via GPS technology) to perform an electronic monetary transaction between a vehicle passing through a toll plaza and the toll collection agency.
KENT ETC System works with Passive RFID Technology recommended by the Apex Committee
for ETC implementation, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India
for vehicle detection and classification as well as enforcement technologies.
The entities of the System are Central Toll Clearing House (CTCH), Central Data Base (CDB), Point Of Sale (POS), Toll Collection Agency (TCA) and Toll Booth. The CTCH is a transaction management system which will enable multiple Toll Collection Agencies to share toll transaction data and revenue reconciliations.
Features of KENT ETC System
- KENT ETC system is capable of operating with both multi-concessionaire as well as single toll collection agency.
- KENT ETC System enables to conduct the toll collection activity in both, dedicated ETC lanes and mixed ETC lanes. Mixed ETC lane logic is quite useful in case where there is limited usable land at the plaza
- KENT ETC System is powered by KENT PoS (Point of Sale) System which optimizes cashless transactions at the toll plazas.
- KENT PoS (Point of Sale) System administers a wide range of permutations & combinations of Toll rates at connected plazas.
Benefits of KENT ETC System
- The System can process 250 to 300 percent more vehicles per lane than the traditional toll collection system, thus reducing toll plaza delays and traffic congestion.
- The System allows free flow of traffic.
- The System helps to reduce auto emissions and fuel consumption.
- The System modifies the travel patterns.
- The System helps to get better audit control through centralized user accounts.
- The System enhances expanded capacity without being required to build additional infrastructures.